Friday, 20 July 2012

Womad

I put Womad on my 60 before 60 list as I thought I really should go to a  big, muddy, weekend festival. It's the kind of thing that people assume I've already done and I really feel that I should have. I've just never got round to it. Never been in the right place at the right time.

Womad interests me because it's so international (hence the name = World of Music, Arts and Dance). And I don't think I'd enjoy Glastonbury - 20 years ago I might have done, but not now. I wasn't planning on going any time soon, mainly because I like to do other things in the summer, but also because I didn't have anyone to go with and this is something I feel would be better experienced as part of a group.

Then a colleague mentioned she was going this summer with a group of friends. Although I didn't really want to break my summer up, it seemed like an opportunity that was meant to be. I asked if I could tag along and of course she said yes. I got straight online and booked my ticket. I haven't heard of any of the bands that are playing, but I'm sure I'll enjoy them nonetheless and come away with a wishlist of music to be purchased.

I'm going down to the Cotswolds on Sunday and will spend most of the week there staying on a tiny campsite with a portaloo but no shower. I'm thinking of ways of rigging up the back doors of my van to make a shower cubicle and then I'll be able to have bowl and jug showers. Or if the weather doesn't improve, I could just stand outside with a bottle of shampoo. On Friday I'll go to Womad. There'll be no showers there, so if my van doors idea doesn't work I'm going to pretty smelly by the time I come home on the following Monday.

I'm looking forward to Womad but at the same time I'm apprehensive about a few things. If the weather is really horrendous I won't enjoy standing around watching bands. I don't mind walking in rain and keeping my head down, but standing still and looking up for hours at a time will be pretty miserable. I'm also a bit concerned about security. I imagine these events are a magnet for thieves, so I'm concerned about taking anything expensive with me, or leaving it in the van. I also hate not being able to wash my hair. I could survive without a shower as long as my hair gets washed, but I don't know what the water situation will be like.

Anyway, I'm not too apprehensive about my apprehensions as usually when I'm apprehensive about something I end up having a great time and none of things I was worried about materialise.

No comments:

Post a Comment